There are many harmful ingredients being included in our everyday beauty products. But as an esthetician and concerned beauty junkie, I wanted to share the ones I personally try to avoid.
Please note that manufactures try to use a variety of different names to sneak these toxic ingredients into our products. I have listed a few but if you have any questions, please leave a comment and let me know. Also, the Skin Deep website is well respected and provides honest information about products and ingredients, so that is a great reference to have if you are looking for more detailed information (http://www.ewg.org/skindeep).
If you have a hard time finding products with acceptable ingredients, just make your own! I post many DIY skin and beauty recipes on my blog (www.greeneyedgrace.com) and will continue to do so. Check out my other posts!
Here is the list for you:
1. Parabens – methyl, butyl, ethyl, propyl – (preservative) – potentially cancer causing and can interfere with hormones
2. Aluminum (colorant) – potentially toxic to the nervous system
3. Phthalates – potentially cancer causing and can interfere with hormones
4. Benzoyl Peroxide (acne treatment) – can cause rash and irritation to the skin
5. Para-Aminobenzoic Acid – PABA – (sometimes in sunscreen) – carcinogenic
6. Arsenic (found in other ingredients such as hydrogenated cotton seed oil) – toxic to hormone balance and organs
7. Triclosan a/k/a antibacterial – irritant and possibly toxic to hormone balance
8. Propylene glycol – butylene glycol, PG/PED/PPG – (alcohol/solvent) – irritant
9. Sodium laureth sulfate – SLS/SLES – (emulsifier/cleansing agent) – irritant, potentially toxic to organs
10. Petrochemicals – paraffin, mineral oil, petroleum, petrolatum, Vaseline – (emollient) – potentially carcinogenic
11. Perfume and fragrance (scent/smells) – can be a ‘chemical cocktail’ as the ingredients are not required to be disclosed – potentially toxic to organs and overall health
12. Butylated hydroxyanisole – butylated hydroxytoluene, BHA/BHT – (preservative/stabilizer) – potentially toxic to hormone balance and organs
The more clean and pure our ingredients are, the healthier and happier we will be. Please take a look at your products to see if a cleaner replacement product is necessary.
I hope you all feel beautiful today!
SUBSCRIBE TO RECEIVE YOUR FREE E-BOOK ON SKIN CARE ROUTINE AND MUCH MORE, INCLUDING DIY RECIPES!